Provided Courtesy of the
Formerly known as the Dogtown Territorial Quarterly
Links to Other California History Website Pages:
[Home | History Articles | Authors/Historians | History Books | Dogtown History | Sample Article]
[California Historic Events | Historical Societies & Museums | California State Historic Parks]
[Advertising Rates | Historical Advisors | History Trivia Test | Writer's Guidelines]
[Dogtown Territorial Quarterly Magazine | Ordering Information | Paradise Coin & Gift]
Alcatraz Penitentiary at Alcatraz Island Daily Ranger-led programs explore various aspects of the island, from American Indian lore to military history. Audio tour of cellhouse available. "Island Hop" is a day-long tour of Angel Island & Alcatraz Island. Daily ferry service leaves Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 41. Call 415-705-5555 or 415-773-1188.
Alta District Historical Society Located at 289 S. K St., Dinuba, CA 93618. The office is located upstairs of the White House in Heritage Square and is across from the Dinuba Depot Museum. Open Tues-Weds 9am-Noon; 1pm-3pm. Write P.O. Box 254, Dinuba, CA 93618. Phone 559-591-2144, fax 559-591-3947. www.altadistricthistoricalsociety.org Email: email@example.com
Anderson Valley Historical Society A non-profit volunteer organization of people collecting, researching, displaying and sharing the rich history of Anderson Valley is both our mission and our pleasure! Enjoy your picnic at our place. Our Redwood Grove is planted and picnic tables are ready and waiting for you. Grounds open during museum hours. Museum is in the old Con Creek Schoolhouse. Beware of Boontlingers speaking in strange tongues! Open Feb-Nov Fri-Sun 1-4pm. Write 12340 Highway 128, Boonville, CA 95415.
Museum of Anthropology Located at 301 Langdon Hall on the California State University Campus at Chico. Open October thru May. Mon-Sat, 11-3. The Museum is designed as an instructional facility to provide students with practical training in modern museology. All displays were conceived, researched, designed and installed by students as part of an anthropology class in museum methodology. No Admission. Write CSU-Chico, Chico, CA 95929-0400 or call (530) 898-5397.
A.S. Bradford House/Placentia Founders Society A.S. Bradford was instrumental in forming the townsite of Placentia, starting a bank and bringing businesses, the post office and the railroad. House is owned by the City of Placentia and managed by the Placentia Founders Society, a non-profit group of 100 members. Call (714) 993-2470 for for information. Email Virginia M. Bannister, president, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website.
The Association for Northern California Records and Research (ANCRR) A philanthropic organization that gives financial aid and material help in developing the Special Collections in Meriam Library at California State University Chico. Fosters research in northern California history by offering a yearly award (due June 1998) of $500 for the best research paper. Winning entries may be published by ANCRR. $15 yearly membership. Call (530) 342-8461 or write P.O. Box 3024, Chico, CA 95927. Visit the ANCRR Website at: http://www.csuchico.edu/ancrr/
Atherton Heritage Association Open Tuesday 1-3pm. 91 Ashfield Rd., Atherton, CA 94027. Call 650-688-6541.
Autry Museum of Western Heritage The Autry Museum offers an entertaining and educational opportunity to discover the legacy of the American West. Located at 4700 Western Heritage Way in Griffith Park, Los Angeles. Plenty of free parking. Open Tuesday-Sunday 10 am to 5 pm and selected Monday holidays. Admission: Adults, $7.50; Students/Seniors 60+, $5.00; Children 2-12, $3.00; museum members, free. The Autry Museum is adjacent to the Los Angeles Zoo. Visit the Autry Museum Website for more information or call (213) 667-2000.
The Bayley House Alcander John Bayley's 22-room stage stop at Pilot Hill is being restored by the Georgetown Divide Recreation District. See their informational website at: www.thebayleyhouse.com
Belmont Historical Association 1219 Ralston Ave., Belmont, CA Call 650-591-4270.
Benicia Capitol State Historic Park California's early years of statehood saw a succession of state capitols. Benicia was the third and last seat of government before Sacramento became the state capitol. The interior of the Benicia Capitol has been restored in intricate detail showcasing the craftsmanship of the midnineteenth century. The building is open daily, except for some major holidays. It is located at 1st and G Streets in Benicia. Call (707) 745-3385. State Parks Website
Benicia Historical Museum Located at 2060 Camel Rd, Benicia, CA 94510. Call 707-745-5435 or 745-2135 for information or visit website at: www.beniciahistoricalmuseum.org
Bernhard Museum Complex Built in 1851 as the Traveler's Rest Hotel, it is one of the oldest wooden structures in Placer County. Docent tours exhibits and special events recreate life on a typical family farm in the 19th century. Call (530) 589-6500 or write 291 Auburn-Folsom Road, Auburn, CA 95603.
Bidwell Bar Association Located at the Lake Oroville Visitor's Center, this group sponsors the annual Bidwell Bar Day held the first weekend in May at the Bidwell Bar Tollhouse near the Bidwell Marina. Annual Frontier Christmas Day on the first Saturday in December. Both events 1-4pm. Call (530)538-2219 or write 917 Kelly Ridge Road, Suite 1, Oroville, CA 95966.
Bidwell Mansion Association Membership is open to all who wish to join in supporting the interpretive restoration programs of Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park. $10/yr membership. Write to 525 Esplanade, Chico, CA 95926 or call (530) 895-6144.
Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park Next to CSU-Chico campus at 525 Esplanade in Chico. The Museum is the home of John Bidwell, founder of Chico and was built in magnificent style in the 1860s. Tours are given every hour from 12-4pm weeekdays and 10am-4pm weekends. Adults, $2; Ages 6-12, $1; Under 6 free. Call (530)895-6144 or write 525 Esplanade, Chico, CA 95926. State Parks Website
Big Bear Valley Historical Society and Museum Located in the northeast portion of Big Bear City Park. See a furnished 1875 log cabin, gold mining artifacts, cattle and ranching exhibits, native animals, Hollywood memorabilia, toys, glassware, photographs and minerals. Open Sat. 10am-4pm. Sun. & holidays 11am-2pm. Write P.O. Box 513, Big Bear City, CA 92314. Phone 909-585-8100.
Bolton Hall Museum Located at 10110 Commerce Avenue, Tujunga, CA 91042. The museum is housed in a stone building built in 1913 as the meeting hall and club house for Little Lands Colony. The building was restored in the 1980s and again serves as a community center. A collection of over 5,000 photographs, archives of the local newspaper from the 1920s through the 1980s, and artifacts of early Sunland/Tujunga are only a part of this working museum. Docent tours Sundays and Tuesdays from 1 to 4pm and programs on the second Saturday of the month at 1pm. No admission. Email: email@example.com
Brea Museum & History Center See website for information: www.breamuseum.org
Burbank Aviation Museum Aviation history of the San Fernando Valley. Dedicated to preserving the history of aviation in the area including the Lockheed Company, birthplace of the Skunkworks, Grand Central Airport, Metropolitan Airport and hundreds of smaller aviation-related businesses. A virtual museum is on their website at: www.godickson.com/ahsfv.htm
Burlingame Historical Society Open Tues. & Weds. 9am-2pm. Write P.O. Box 144, Burlingame, CA 94011. Call 650-340-9960 or 650-347-5779.
Butte County Branch of the National League of American Pen Women Founded i n 1926, the Pen Women have published several books written by its members. Here is My Land, Butte Remembers, and Ripples Along Chico Creek: Perspectives on People and Times. Write P.O. Box 3278, Chico, CA 95927 or call (530) 877-6110.
Butte County Historical Society Founded in 1956, the Society preserves the history of Butte County. The Society's headquarters are located in the historic Ehmann Home in Oroville. Memberships are only $20/year which includes lectures, field trips, museum and quarterly historical publication, the Diggins. Call (530) 533-9418 or write P.O. Box 2195, Oroville, CA 95965.
Butte Meadows-Jonesville Community Association The History Committee of the Association is collecting and compiling information about the early history of the area from people who have been in the area since the early 1900s. Call (530) 345-3838 or write 990 Normal Chico, CA 95928.
Cable Car Barn and Powerhouse Three historic cable cars, displays of grips, track, cable and brake mechanisms. Free. Open daily 10am-6pm. 1201 Mason St., San Francisco, CA Call 415-347-1887.
Calabasas Historical Society Extensive collection of books and photos at Pierce College in Woodland Hills at the Kathleen Beachy Memorial Library. Open by appointment only. Call 805-495-3055. The Ruth Loring Memorial Collection of Southern California History is housed in a special research room at the Calabasas City Library. Open during regular library hours: Tues-Weds 10am-8pm; Thurs-Fri 10am-5pm; Sat 11am-5pm; Sun 12-5pm. Closed Mondays.
California Foundry History Museum Foundries melt metal to make fire hydrants, water pipes, car engines, plaques, so come ring a trolley bell, work a water valve, see "Castings in Our Everyday Life" display and foundry history film, view historic photographs/artifacts from the Gold Rush to present and follow foundries' economic importance in California. Open M-F 9am-3pm., in Sacramento at McClellan Park, 5301 Price Avenue (I-80 to Watt Avenue Exit, follow to former McClellan Air Force Base, enter at Peacekeeper Way off Watt). Museum is located in the Technikon facility, which features a state-of-the-art emissions-testing foundry. FREE. Call (916) 929-8001. The California Foundry History Institute, creator of this museum, has received an extensive collection of antique foundry patterns (molds) which are unique examples of American industrial craftsmenship. These patterns are retired from use and are available to the public for a nominal donation. Call (916) 933-7382 or visit us at www.foundryhistory.com for museum and/or pattern information.
California Historical Society Located at 678 Mission Street in San Francisco. Founded in 1871, the society collection contains 500,000 photographs, 150,000 manuscripts, thousands of books, periodicals, prints and paintings, gold rush diaries, etc. Research library available to "serious students" and scholars by appt. The museum is open 1 lam-6pm Tues-Sat. Admission is $3 general, $1 for students & seniors. Call (415)357-1848 for information how to join.
California History Center at De Anza College Exhibitions, traveling exhibits, special tours, history classes and the Louis Stocklmeir Regional History Library specializing in the Santa Clara Valley. Members receive The Californian magazine. Open weekdays 8am-noon & 1-4pm, Saturdays 10am2pm. Write 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino, CA 95014 or call (408) 996-4712.
California Military Museum Militia and military history from pre-statehood to contemporary times. 30,000 military items and memorabilia. Veterans tell war stories and lead guided tours every day. Winter: 10-5pm; Summer: 11-7pm. 1119 2nd Street, Sacramento, CA. Call 916-442-2883.
California Pioneers of Santa Clara County Anyone who is a descendant of someone who lived in California for fifty years or more is eligible for membership as well as anyone who has reisided in the State of California fifty years or more. The organizations publishes "The Trailblazer" and it is sent to all members. Contact Mary Lou Lyon, 879 Lily Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014-4261 or call (408) 253-9514.
California State Capitol Museum Various tours explore both the past and present of the California State Capitol. The State Capitol is located at 10th and L streets in Sacramento. Call (916)3 24-0333 for information. State Parks Website
California State Genealogical Alliance This group has over 100 member societies which each have between 100-400 individual members. They hold an annual California Conference, which this year will be held October 18th, 2003 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Foster City, California. Contact Cath Madden Trindle, 56 Orchard Avenue, Redwood City, CA 94061-3720 or email Catht@aol.com
California State Indian Museum Located at 2618 K Street directly behind Sutter's Fort in Sacramento, the State Indian Museum is open daily fram 10 am to 5 pm except Thanksgiving, Christmas and NewYear's Day. Admission is $2 for adults, under 17 free. The museum exhibits a fine collection of California Indian cultural artifacts including exquisite basketry, beadwork and clothing. The museum also contains a display on Ishi, the last of the Yahi Indians. Call (916) 324-0971 or write 2618 K Street, Sacramento CA 95814. Indian Museum Web Page.
California State Railroad Museum Located at 1251 Street in Sacramento. The museum houses 21 pieces of historic rolling stock with many more engines and cars sitting on the outside tracks. A full-scale diorama depicts the building of a section of the transcontinental railroad in the 1860s. During summer, steam train rides are offered from Old Sacramento to Miller Park along the Sacramento River. Call (916) 448-4466 or 445-7387. Railroad Museum Web Page.
Campbell Historical Museum Showcases valley life in the 1800s-1900s. The 1925 English Tudor Revival Ainsley House was the home of canning industry pioneer J.C. Ainsley. Open Thurs.-Sun., 12-4pm (April-Dec.). Orchard City Green at Grant St., Campbell, CA 95008. Call 408-866-2119.
Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society Operates a museum in the old 1935 firehouse. Collection includes historic photos and memorabilia of Canoga Park, formerly Owensmouth. Museum is open 2nd and 4th Sunday each month from 2pm to 4pm. 7248 Owensmouth, Canoga Park, CA 91303. Call 818-346-5252 for information.
Centerville Colman Museum Located at 13548 Centerville Road in Butte Creek Canyon. Late 1800s gold mining equipment, tools, local Indian artifacts and relics of the Civil War. Historic one-room 1894 Centerville Schoolhouse is next to the museum and is open for tours Sat-Sun 1-4pm along with museum. Open 1-4 Sat-Sun. No Admission. Call Sonja Johnson, Curator, for special tours and info: (530) 893-9667 or write 13548 Centerville Road, Chico CA 95927. Website: www.colmanmuseum.com
Cherokee Museum Located at 4226 Cherokee Road in the old gold mining town of Cherokee off Highway 70. The museum displays old gold mining artifacts, bottles, photos and other memorabilia from the early days in Cherokee. Open on weekends during good weather and some holidays. Admission 50 cents. Call (530) 533-1849 or write 1084 Montgomery Street, Oroville, CA 95965.
Chester-Lake Almanor Museum Local history buffs started out to write a photo-history of Chester and Lake Almanor, and before they knew it, it had turned into a museum! This small gem of a museum contains information and artifacts from the Maidu culture, the early dairy and cattlemen, construction photos of the Lake Almanor dam, present-day timber industries, and artifacts from the Lassen Trail. The Butte Lake Dinky steam engine is part of the museum's collection. The museum is attached to the Chester Branch Library, a log cabin structure built in 1929. The museum is open Mon-Weds 10-5:30; Thurs. 12-8:30pm; Fri. 12-4pm; Sat. 10-2. No admission, but donations gladly accepted. Call (530)258-2742. Located at 210 First Avenue, Chester, CA.
Chico Museum Located at 141 Salem Street on the corner of 2nd and Salem. The Museum houses the artifacts from Chico's Chinese Temple and has special exhibits from time to time. Also on display are other historical artifacts and photos of Chico and the surrounding area. Free Admission. Open Wed-Sun 12-4. Call (530)891-4336 or write 141 Salem St., Chico CA 95926.
Chinese Temple Located at 1500 Broderick in Oroville. There are three separate temples - the Buddha, the Taoist and the Confucionist and it was built by Emperor Tung Chi in the 1860s. It served as the Chinese Civic Center where arguments were settled, laws enforced and taxes collected. Also a Tapestry Hall, an Artifact Hall and the temples are open for Chinese religious ceremonies. Open Thurs.- Mon, 11-4:30 & Tues-Weds. 1-4. Admission $2, under 12 free. Call (530) 538-2496 or write 1500 Broderick, Oroville, CA 95965.
Colfax Area Historical Society Website: www.colfaxhistory.org
Colusa County Archives Located in the historic Colusa County Courthouse erected in 1861, 546 Jay Street, Colusa. Collection is open to researchers Mon-Fri. 8:30-5 pm. Researchers are encouraged to call ahead for an appointment. Collection indudes court files, marriage, birth, death and land records, Great registers, maps, etc., dating from 1851. Call (530) 458-5146. Write: Kathleen Moran, Colusa County Clerk, 546 Jay Street, Colusa, CA 95932.
Colusi County Historical Society Collects and preserves the history of the present day Colusa, Glenn and Tehama counties. The Society publishes an historical bi-annual magazine known as Wagon Wheels, which is sent to all current members, in part, for their annual dues: Active annual: $15; Family annual: $20; Benefactor annual: $40; Patron annual: $100. Back issues of Wagon Wheels available for sale through Society website.Write P.O. Box 643, Willows, CA 95988 or visit the Society website: http://www.colusi.org
Conference of California Historical Societies The Conference helps historical groups with the problems of running museums, libraries, documents and artifact preservation, etc. by sharing technical knowledge. It also intends to be a means of communication between all sectors of the historical communiy. Its quarterly publication is the California Historian. Single copy price is $5. For more information call (209) 946-2169 or write Conference of California Historical Societies, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA 95211. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.californiahistorian.com
Crocker Art Museum Founded in 1885, the Crocker Art Museum is the first public art museum in the West. The Italianade mansion which houses the original collection of European paintings, Old Master drawings and California art, is also of great architectural interest, with its double curving stairwells, extensive California-grown wood paneling and carvings, and grand ballroom. Located at 216 O Street in Sacramento, open Tuesday through Sunday 10am to 5pm; Thursday 10am to 9pm. Closed Mondays, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Day. Admission is $4.50 for adults aged 18 and over; $2.00 for ages 7 to 17; ages 6 and under are admitted free. Call 916-264-5423 or write 216 O Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 for information on our many activities. Website: http://www.sacto.org/crocker
Cupertino Historical Museum Changing exhibits, a speaker's program, museum tours, and a traveling "history trunk" program for schools and groups. Open Weds.-Sat. 10am-4pm. Quinlan Community Center, 10185 N. Stelling Rd., Cupertino, CA 95014. Call 408-973-1495.
Daly City/Colma History Guild Mini-Museum Located in the reference room of Serramonte branch of the Daly City Library, 40 Wembley Dr., (Gellert Park), this little facility houses and displays a unique collection of ephemera, photos, clippings, souvenirs, maps and all kinds of memory-joggers relating to this northernmost city of San Mateo County, adjacent to San Francisco. Memorabilia spans years from 1853, when first settler Robert Thornton arrived to put down roots, thru Broderick-Terry duel in 1859, incorporation in 1911, Unsolved Mystery Blimp crash in 1942, and thru post-war development and population explosion. Self-guided tours plus docent-greeters. Open Tuesdays 1-2:30pm. History Guild of Daly City/Colma presents five public meetings each year, takes local history "Then & Now" slide shows to schools and clubs. Speakers available. For information call 650-755-5123.
Death Valley Days TV Series For information write The Old Ranger, Death Valley Days Series, U.S. Borax, Inc., 26877 Tourney Rd., Valencia, CA 91355-1847. Visit website at http://www.deathvalleydays.com
De Saisset Museum Near Mission Santa Clara. Exhibits artifacts from original mission, paintings, photographs, prints. Open Tues.-Sun. 11am-4pm. Santa Clara University, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053-0550. Call 408-554-4528.
Discovery Museum History, science, and technology interactive, family-friendly exhibits. Large gold collection and replicated 1860s print shop. 10am-5pm. Old Sacramento, 101 I Sreet. Call 916-264-7057.
Donner Memorial State Park In the spring of 1846 87 emigrants, 42 of which were children, left Springfield, Illinois and headed for a promised land. They dreamed of crops that grew easily, and abundant mountain streams flowing into a fertile valley. But they only made it as far as Donner Lake. They were stranded due to heavy snow storms and were unable to cross the summit. 42 perished from starvation and fatigue. The Emigrant Trail Museum narrates this awful ordeal on the hour. Artifacts, memorabilia and exhibits relating to the Donner Party can be seen. The park is open sunrise to sunset every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. The park museum is open 10 am-4 pm during the summer and in the winter months is closed from 12 noon-1 pm. A Winter Hike Program is held from Sept. through March guided by friendly Park Rangers. Call (530) 582-7892 or write 12593 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 95737. State Parks Website
Drum Barracks Civil War Museum and Research Library Located at 1502 Banning Blvd. in Wilmington, the museum is housed in the last remaining building of Camp Drum, U.S. Army headquarters for the Southwest from 1861- 1871. The former Junior Officers Quarters features displays on California troops during the Civil War and Post-Civil War period as well as the history of the Los Angeles harbor area. The museum also features restored living quarters and parlor. Special living history events are held throughout the year. Tours are given Tues., Weds., and Thurs. at 10,11,12 and 1; Sat/Sun at 11:30, 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30. Call (310) 548-7509 or write 1052 Banning Blvd., Wilmington, CA 90744.
Eastern California Museum Founded in 1928, the museum features exhibits of Inyo County and Owens Valley. Large collection of Owens Valley Paiute and Shoshone basketry, photograph collection of Eastern Sierra & Owens Valley. See exhibit on "The Story of Manzanar, the Japanese American World War II Internment Center." Open 10am-4pm Weds.-Mon. Closed Tuesdays & holidays. Located at 155 N. Grant, Independence. Call 760-878-0258 or write P.O. Box 206, Independence, CA 93526. Email: email@example.com
E Clampus Vitus Located in Paradise, this local Chapter 7/11 researches the trails, trials & tribulations of the emigrants coming west and dedicates historic monuments honoring particular individuals or groups of emigrants. Call (530) 872-7473 or write P.O. Box 1670, Paradise, CA 95967.
The Ehmann Home Located at 1480 Lincoln Street, Oroville is operated by the Butte County Historical Society. Features Ishi's jail door - Robin Hood's sword - Erle Stanley Gardner's rifle, Oroville patent medicines and more. Open Sat. 11-3, Sun 1-4. $1 donation, members free. (530) 533-5316, write P.O. Box 2195, Oroville, CA 95965.
Empire Mine State Historic Park Located at 10791 E. Empire Stree in Grass Valley. An active gold mining town for over 100 years, Grass Valley's richest mine produced nearly six million ounces of gold. The entrance to 367 miles of abandoned and flooded mine shafts has been opened along with many of the mine buildings and the owner's home. Tours available. Call (530) 273-8522. Empire Mine Web Page.
Folsom, El Dorado & Sacramento Historical Railroad Association, Inc. This group was organized for the purpose of preserving, maintaining and recording railroad history in the city of Folsom, County of El Dorado, County of Sacramento, and related connections. The FEDS Newsletter, a quarterly publication, is included with membership dues of $20/yr. The group restored the Folsom turntable that was unearthed some years back. Located at 198 Wool St., Folsom, CA 95630. Write P.O. Box 6404, Folsom, CA 95763-6404. Call (916) 351-0115. Website: www.fedshra.org
Folsom History Museum Located at 823 Sutter Street, the Folsom History Museum is housed in the former Wells Fargo Assay Office (1860), and features rotating exhibits each year, including the Annual Antique Quilt Show every August and September. The Museum Annex offers permanent interpretive displays highlight the Native American culture; gold mining (1849); Chinese settlement (1852); the Sacramento Valley Railroad - the first railroad in the West (1856); the Folsom Telegraph (1856), Pony Express western terminus (1860-61); the Folsom Prison (1878) and the Folsom Powerhouse (1895) and celebrating the rich history of Folsom and the Mother Lode. Site of the annual Re-Ride of the Pony Express in June of each year. Open 11 am-4 pm, Tues-Sun. Admission $3 adult, $2 youth (12-17). Children under 12 free. Call (916) 985-2707 or write 823 Sutter St., Folsom, CA 95630. Website: www.folsomhistorymuseum.org
Forest Hill Divide Museum/Forest Hill Divide Historical Society Focuses on the history of the Foresthill and Iowa Hill divides. Geology, Prehistory, the Gold Rush, Transportation, Early Business, Recreation and Early Fire Fighting. Livery Stable and Blacksmith Shop. Call (530) 889-6500 or write 24601 Harrison Street, Foresthill, CA 95631. Visit website: www.foresthillhistory.org
Fort Ross State Historic Park Located 12 miles north of Jenner on Hwy 1 in Sonoma County. Here in 1812, ninety-five Russians and forty native Alaskans came ashore and built several houses and a sturdy wooden fort-the village and fortress of Ross. The fort and visitor center are open 10-4:30 seven days a week. Admission, $5 per car. A Living History Day is held every year on the last Saturday in July. Call (707) 8473286 or write 19005 Coast Hwy 1, Jenner, CA 95450. State Parks Website
Fresno Flats Historical Park School Road (427) Oakhurst, a collection of historic buildings, including two 1870s homes designated as California Points of Historic Interestprobably the only surviving examples of architectural types once common in the Mother Lode. Museum complex also includes two one-room schoolsone a museum and the other a meeting hallblacksmith shop, wagon collection and logging exhibit. Self-guided tours available from dawn to dusk. For times of guided tours or reservations call 559-683-6570. Museum mailing address: P.O. Box 451, Oakhurst, CA 93644. Adjacent Historical Research Center and Library open 10am-3pm Mon.-Fri. Phone 559-658-2161. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Both facilities developed and maintained by all-volunteer, non-profit Sierra Historic Sites Assn. Visit website: www.fresnoflatsmuseum.org
Gilroy Museum Located in the 1910 Carnegie Library and maintains a collection of over 20,000 objects. It also houses the South Santa Clara County archives. Open Mon, Tues., Thurs., Fri 10am-5pm and 1st Sat. each month 10am-2pm. 195 Fifth St., Gilroy, CA 95020. Call 408-848-0470.
Golden Drift Museum Focuses on Dutch Flat, Gold Run, Alta and Towle. Exhibits on Hydraulic mining, timber industry, Transcontinental Railroad, early communities. Call (530) 889-6500 or write 32820 Main Street, Dutch Flat, CA 96714.
Golden Gate Railroad Museum operates the restored locomotive SP2472 and historic equipment in Niles Canyon, once part of the Transcontinental Railroad, plus museum trains, special events and excursion trips. Located at Hunter's Point Shipyard in San Francisco. Call 415-822-8728 or visit their website at www.ggrm.org
Gold Nugget Museum Located at 502 Pearson Road in Paradise. The Museum was built from profits of the local Gold Nugget Days celebration held each year in late April. Dolls, guns, minerals, life scenes of the old days, mining artifacts and an Indian exhibit are just a few of the things to see. Open Wed-Sun, 12-4. Call (530) 872-8722 or write P.O. Box 949, Paradise, CA 95967-0949
Golden State Museum Artifacts, documents and interactive media bring California history to life. Tues-Weds-Sat 10am-5pm; Thurs 10am-8pm. 1020 O St., Sacramento, CA 95814. Call 916-653-4255.
C.N. Gorman Museum The museum is dedicated to exhibiting artwork by contemporary Native American and Indigenous artists. Located on the main UC Davis campus, at 1316 Hart hall, One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616. Open Mon-Fri from 12-5pm, year-round. Events, artist talks, and exhibitions are always free. Website: gormanmuseum.ucdavis.edu or call 530-752-6567.
Governor's Mansion State Historic Park Located at 16th and H streets in Sacramento the mansion was built by hardware store owner Albert Gallatin in 1878. It became the offficial residence for California's governors in 1903 until Ronald Reagan became its last occupant in 1967. Call (916) 445-4209. State Parks Website
Griffith Quarry Museum 0riginally Penryn Granite Works established in 1864. Exhibits on the Griffith family, granite industry and Penryn-Loomis Basin. Nature trails & picnic sites. Call (530) 889-6500 or write Taylor & Rock Springs Rd., Penryn, CA 95663.
Heritage Museum of Orange County The museum (formerly called Centennial Heritage Museum) is a cultural and natural history center dedicated to preserving, promoting and restoring the heritage of Orange County and the surrounding region. The museum spans 11 acres and includes a historic plaza complete with the Kellogg and Maag homes with auxiliary buildings of the 1890s, a working blacksmith shop, extensive citrus orchards and gardens and fresh water marshes. A Victorian arbor and gazebo and over 200 rose bushes highlight the historic plaza. Closed on Mondays and reserved for special events on Saturdays, the museum is open for student programs weekday mornings and to the general public 1-5pm on Friday and 11-3pm on Saturdays. Public admission is $5. 3101 Harvard St., Santa Ana, CA 92704. Call 714-540-9452 or visit website: www.heritagemuseumoc.org
Highland Park Heritage Trust A volunteer non-profit group dedicated to preserving the communities of Northeast Los Angeles along with the historic Arroyo Seco (Highland Park, Mt. Washington and Garvanza). Members receive a bi-monthly newsletter. Membership is $25 per household. Meetings held second Monday of each month. For more info call our machine at 323-256-4326 or write P.O. Box 50894, Los Angeles, CA 90050-0894. Highland Park Heritage Trust supports our local museums which include the Southwest Museum, El Alisal or Charles Fletcher Lummis home and offices of the Historical Society of Southern California and Heritage Square.
Historical Society of Long Beach Gallery & Historical Research Center located at The Breakers, 210 E. Ocean Blvd., Arcade Level, Long Beach. Open Tuesday-Friday 1-5pm. Call 562-495-1210; fax 562-495-1281. Write P.O. Box 1869, Long Beach, CA 90801. Visit Society Website: www.historicalsocietylb.org
Historical Society of the Upper Mojave Desert A non-profit organization loosely affiliated with the Maturango Museum, P.O. Box 2001, Ridgecrest, CA 93556-2001. The museum is open every day except major holidays from 10am-5pm.
Dedicated to promoting the cultural history of Ridgecrest and the Mojave Desert surrounding it. Collects, preserves, displays artifacts, historical photos, memorabilia, oral histories, etc. Research assistance available for serious researchers and organizations.
Website: www.maturango.org/hist.html Email: email@example.com
History Guild of Daly City/Colma Located at Serramonte branch of the Daly City Library, 40 Wembley Dr., (Gellert Park). Unique collection of ephemera, photos, clippings, souvenirs, maps. Memorabilia spans years from 1853, when first settler Robert Thornton arrived, thru Broderick-Terry Duel in 1859, incorporation in 1911, Unsolved Mystery Blimp crash in 1942, and thru post-war development and population explosion. Open Tues. 1-2:30pm. Five public meeting each year; "Then and Now" slide show for schools and clubs. Speakers available. Call 650-755-5123.
Honey Run Bridge Association This non-profit group maintains the historic Honey Run Covered Bridge located in Butte Creek Canyon at the intersection of Centerville Road and Honey Run Road. A Tourist Center is open on weekends at the bridge that helps to support the group's efforts. A pancake breakfast is held every year the first Sunday in June. Call (530) 342-0036 or write P.O. Box 5201, Chico, CA 95927.
Ide Adobe State Historic Park Located in Red Bluff, California one mile east of North Main on Adobe Road on the Sacramento River. Open 8 am to sunset seven days a week. Adobe Day is held each year on the 3rd Saturday in August; Adobe Ferry Champion Horseshoe Pitcher's Contest 2nd Saturday in October; Pioneer Christmas Party held 3rd Saturday in December. All events are Living History Programs in period costumes, etc. An Environmental Studies Program for school children is held Tues.- Thurs. from March-May. Visit Lucy, the park donkey and see rare white-tailed black Spanish hens. Call (530) 895-4303 or write 21659 Adobe Road, Red Bluff, CA 96080. Go to the Ide Adobe Internet Website
Indian Grinding Rock State Historic Park and Chaw'se Regional Indian Museum Located 9 miles east of Jackson (Hwy 88 to Pine Grove), northeast of Pine Grove on Pine Grove-Volcano Rd. Hiking trails, reconstructed Northern Miwok village, Ceremonial Roundhouse, other structures. Most are built near a large limestone bedrock containing over 1100 mortar cups called "Chaw'se" in the Miwok language. Developed campground, 23 sites, first-come, first-served. The Regional Indian Museum at Chaw'se includes works of Northern, Central and Southern Miwok Maidu, Konkow, Monache, Nisenan, Tubatalabal, Washo and Foothill Yokut. Dedicated to the Native Sierra People. 11-3 M-F, 10-4 Sat. Day use: $5/vehicle. Camping $12-15/night. Call (209) 296-7488 or write 14881 Pine Grove-Volcano Rd., Pine Grove, CA 95665. State Parks Website
Indian Valley Museum Located in historic Indian Valley in the town of Taylorsville, California. The Museum preserves the history of the area and volunteers are always on call for arranging tours for groups and schools. Open Memorial weekend thru October 31st. Call (530) 284-1046 or (530) 284-7785 or write P.O. Box 194, Taylorsville, CA 95983.
Isleton Brannan-Andrus Historical Society The Society was formed in 1991 and they opened a small museum in 1995. The museum was recently closed, but plans are underway to find another building as a temporary home to the museum. The Board of Directors meets the third Thursday of every month at 6 pm at the Delta Daze Inn Breakfast Room. Call 916-777-5186 or write P.O. Box 933, Isleton, CA 95641.
Jake Jackson Museum and History Park Trinity County artifacts from Native Americans to pioneers, miner's cabin, stagecoach/buggy barn, blacksmith shop and stampmill. Special events and presentations. Open daily 10am-5pm. Noc.-Apr daily noon-4pm. (Jan-Mar Tues & Sat only). 508 Main St., P.O.Box 333, Weaverville, CA 96093. Call 530-623-5211. www.trinitymuseum.org
Kennedy Gold Mine Open for surface tours, mid-March thru October, Saturday, Sunday and Holidays, 10am-3pm, weather permitting. See the headframe, the tallest mining structure in the Mother Lode, the magnificent 90-year-old cement mining office and the famous Kennedy tailing wheels. Adults $9; children 6-12 $5. Arrangements for special or youth tours call (209)295-5793. For general information call (209)223-9542 or (209)223-4201. Located in Jackson, California, Hwys 88 & 49. Write P.O. Box 942, Jackson, CA 95642. Visit website at www.kennedygoldmine.com
The Lace Museum Located at 552 South Murphy, Sunnyvale, CA. Open Tues.-Sat. 11am-4pm, free parking. Largest collection of lace and lacemaking tools in the U.S. Call 408-867-7468 for more information.
Lassen County Historical Society Preserving the historic past of Lassen County. Sponsors Lassen Historical Museum on Weatherlow Street in Susanville. Open May thru October, 10-4 weekdays, 11-3 Saturdays or by appointment. Call (530) 257-3292 or 253-3434 or write P.O. Box 321, Susanville, CA 96130.
Lassen Historical Museum Located on Weatherlow Street in Susanville. The Museum is sponsored by the Lassen County Historical Society and is open May thru October, 1-4 weekdays, or by appointment. Call (530) 757-3801 or 257-4584 or write P.O. Box 321, Susanville, CA 96130.
Laws Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum The Bishop Museum and Historical Society, a corporation, was formed in February 1964 to foster and cultivate the development of a museum and historical society. Open all year. 37 buildings with displays, railroad engine #9 & freight cars, caboose and Death Valley Car. Open 10am-4pm. Follow U.S. Hwy 6 north 4.5 miles of Bishop to junction/ Silver Canyon Rd., turn right 1/2 mile to museum. Write P.O. Box 363, Bishop, CA 93515 or call (760) 873-5950.
Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House Located at 23537 Calabasas Road, Calabasas, California 91302. The Leonis Adobe Museum is a prime example of early Southern California ranch life. In addition to the adobe house, there is a bunk house, barn, blacksmith shop, windmill, bath house, laundry area, bee-hive oven, and a Victorian house. Also, a livestock corral, with Texas Longhorn cattle, sheep, goats, and large Percheron draft horses. We also have turkeys, ducks, fantailed pigeons, roosters, and free-roaming Guinea fowl! Open Weds.-Sun 1pm-4pm; Sat 10am-4pm. Call 818-222-6511. www.leonisadobemuseum.org/index.htm
Los Altos History Museum Located on an apricot orchard in the heart of Siolicon Valley, with a historic house interpreted in the 1930s plus a state of the art 3-level museum, they offer extensive educational programs, and excellent changing exhibits. Open Thurs-Sun 12-4pm. 51 S. San Antonio Rd., Los Altos, CA 94022. (Behind the Library) Call 650-948-9427. www.losaltoshistory.org
Los Californianos The purpose of Los Californianos is to preserve the heritage of the early Hispanic Californianos in Alta California. Members conduct research into the history of Spanish and Mexican Alta California. The traveling library contains a copy of the Thomas W. Temple mission records abstract, the Mutnick genealogical charts, and the Vincent Gallagher family group sheets, and other historical materials. See website: www.loscalifornianos.org for more information.
Lott Home In Sank Park Located at 1067 Montgomery Street in Oroville. This historic home was built for the '49er pioneer, Judge Lott, and is decorated with period furnishings. The gazebo/garden area is available for rental for Weddings and Receptions. Open Fri-Tues, 11-4:30, Wed-Thurs, 1-4. Admission $2, $1.50 in groups of 15 or more; under 12 free. Call (530) 538-2497 or write 1067 Montgomery Street, Oroville, CA 95965.
Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park The forces of hydraulic mining in the last century are still evident in the hills of this 3,000 acre historic park. To see the park and the town of North Bloomfield, drive 12 miles north on Hwy 49, then 15 miles north on Tyler-Foote Crossing Rd. (the last two miles are dirt). Call (530) 265-2740. Malakoff Diggins Web Page.
The Mariposa Museum and History Center Founded in 1957 and is administered as a non-profit c orporation and is recognized by the Smithsonian Institution As being æone of the best small museums in America." Here you will learn of the people and life style in Mariposa County, from the Indian and Spanish periods to the California Gold Rush as well as the recent past; all are portrayed with great authenticity. You will see original documents, artifacts and artwork. Gold displays and Native American baskets afre just a few items to enjoy. On displays outdoor is the only operational 5-stamp mill in California and a large array of other mining equipment as well as historical buildings brought to our location from around Mariposa. Inside exhibits include a typical one-room miner's cabin and displays the life style of the West's most famous explorer and Mariposa County resident, John C. Fremont, and his wife Jessie. The museum also houses a research library for persons interested in historical/genealogical research (by appointment). There is a docent (volunteer) to answer questions and ylou can arrange for a private tour for your group. Entrance fee $3 for adults, children are free. Open January, weekends only, 10am-4pm; Feb 10am-4pm; March-Oct 10am-4:30pm; Nov-Dec 10-4pm. Write 5119 Jessie Street, Mariposa, CA 95338. Call 290-966-3692.
John Marsh Historic Trust/Friends of John Marsh Dedicated to the restoration of the Stone House of Dr. John Marsh in Brentwood, California (Contra Costa County). The house was given over to the State of California in the mid-1970s and a covenant was signed promising to care for it and to create a park on the land surrounding it for the people of California. Twenty years later all that has been done is to protect the structure from winter rains. A petition is being circulated urging the California Department of Parks & Recreation to restore the house. Call (510) 516-7484 or write 1700 Oak Park Blvd., Rm C-5, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the John Marsh Historic Trust Website.
Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park California's Gold Rush began on the American River in Coloma when James Marshali discovered pieces of yellow metal in the tailrace of a sawmil he was building in partnership with John Sutter. You can still try your hand at panning for gold in the river or enjoy a picnic under the trees. Be sure you make a stop at the popular museum, where you can learn the history of California's most famous event. The park is located in Coloma, on Hwy 49 between Placerville and Auburn. Call (530) 622-3470. Go to Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park Internet Website.
Mar Vista Historical Society Visit their website: www.marvistahistoricalsociety.net
The Maturango Museum Located in Ridgecrest, the Museum interprets the natural and cultural history of the Northern Mojave Desert, with exhibits featuring geology, minerals, desert flora and fauna, and the colorful history of the area. Tours visit North America's largest known collection of Native American rock art plus many other nearby sites. Museum features include a Discovery Area for children, an outdoor labyrinth, and a small observatory. The well-stocked Museum Store carries books, jewelry, artwork, and other memorabilia with a desert theme. Open seven days a week (except for major holidays) 10am-5pm. Write 100 East Las Flores Avenue, Ridgecrest, CA 93555. Phone 760-375-6900. Website: www.maturango.org
Menlo Park Historical Association Located at the Menlo Park Public Library, 800 Alma St., Menlo Park, CA 94025. Open Tues. & Weds. 10am-1pm. Call 650-858-3368.
Millbrae Historical Society P.O. Box 511, Millbrae, CA 94030. Call 650-692-5786.
Mission San Juan Capistrano The 7th mission in California founded by Father Serra on Nov. 1, 1776. The Living History Society of Mission San Juan Capistrano makes history come alive with stories, demonstrations, and crafts. Native Americans, Padres, Soliers, Weavers, Kit Carson and others come to life. Open 8:30am-5pm daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas & Good Friday. $6 adults; $5 seniors (60+); $4 children (3-11); under 3 free. Write P.O. Box 697, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92693. Call 949-234-1300.
Modoc County Museum Features the collection of Marc & Myrtle Belli. Indian & Pioneer artifacts; historic pictures & papers and an impressive collection of guns. Hundreds of additional items have been donated creating an outstanding representation of Modoc County. Write 600 South Main St., Alturas, CA 56101 or call (530) 233-6328.
Moffett Field Historical Museum Located in historic Hangar One with its awe-inspiring proportions. Photos, models and memorabilia displays feature Lighter-Than-Air balloons, blimps and dirigibles, and the Heavier-Than-Air era to the present. Open Weds.-Sat. 10am-2pm. P.O. Box 16, Moffett Field, CA 94035-0016. Call 650-603-9827.
Monterey County Historical Society Visit their Website: MCHS Website
Morgan Hill Historical Museum Displays a photographic history of the Hiram Morgan Hill family and of the early years in the town of Morgan Hill. Rancho maps and a rock and mineral collection highlight the surrounding area. Open Sat. 12-4pm. 600 W. Main Ave., Morgan Hill, CA 95037. Call 408-779-5755.
Mount Lowe Preservation Society Write P.O. Box 431, San Gabriel, CA 91778. Call 626-570-0560. For additional information visit their website: <www.mountlowe.org>
Museum of Art & History at the McPherson Center (MAH) A member supported, privately funded non-profit educational organization, dedicated to collecting, protecting and exhibiting modern art and regional historic resources. MAH has Historical Archives, publishes a History Journal and other publications) and operates the Museum Store housed in the historic Octagon Building. For more information, call (831) 429-1964 or write 705 Front Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. Email: email@example.com Website: www.santacruzmah.org
Museum of the City of San Francisco Opened in 1991, the Museum is the nucleus of a museum wing in The Cannery, a shopping and burgeoning cultural complex located near the Hyde Street cable car turntable on San Francisco Bay, between Fisherman's Wharf and the National Maritime Museum. Open year-round from 10 am to 4 pm Wednesday thru Sunday. Admission is free, although donations are welcome. 2801 Leavenworth St., Third Floor, San Francisco, CA 94133. Phone (415) 928-0289. Visit the Museum Website at http://www.sfmuseum.org
Nevada County Historical Society Meets last Thursday of each month at 7:30pm, Railroad and Transportation Museum, 5 Kidder Ct., in Nevada City. Dues are $20 per year.Contact Priscilla Van Der Pas 530-272-5154 for additional information. Mailing address is P.O. Box 1300, Nevada City, CA 95959. Website: www.nevadacountyhistory.org
The Nevada County Historical Society supports four museums in the Grass Valley/Nevada City area: Firehouse #1 Museum is located at 214 Main St., Nevada City and contains a Chinese exhibit including a Chinese Temple and Quan Yin Shrine, Maidu Native American artifacts, Donner Party artifacts, period clothing and mining era memorabilia. Open daily 11-4pm. The Searls Library is located at 214 Church St., Nevada City and has extensive collection of recorded documents, mining claims, year books and other original records of the gold rush and mining period. Open 1-4pm Momday thru Saturday. The North Star Mine Museum is located at Allison Ranch Road, Grass Valley and contains a display of mining equipment including a 30-foot Pelton Wheel, shaker table, dynamite packing table and a Cornish pump. Open 10-5pm daily. The Video Museum, located in Memorial Park in Grass Valley, features exhibits on the Narrow Guage Railroad, the Chinese in Nevada County, Pottery, dresses, WWII memorabilia, Nisenan/Maidu artifacts, and historical video with screening room. Open 1-4pm Weds-Sun.
New Almaden Quicksilver Mining Museum Exhibits the collection of Constance B. Perham, showing blacksmith workings, history, geology and working of the mines, life in three mine towns during the heydey (1845-1912), and modern day mining until 1976. 12350 Almaden Rd., New Almaden, CA 95042. Call 408-268-1729.
North American Indian Annex Located in the historic Civic Center, formerly the Auburn Grammar School built in 1915. Home of the Pate Collection of Native American artifacts donated to Placer County by former Auburn Mayor Bernice Pate. Over 400 items from California, the Southwest, the Northwest Coast, Alaska and the Eastern tribes. Schoolroom display and hall exhibit. Weekdays by appointment only. Call (530) 889-6500 or write 1225 Lincoln Way, Auburn, CA 95603.
Old Mission Dolores Renovated mission, cenetery garden and museum. Site includes the Mission Church, the oldest intact building in San Francisco. Taped, self-guided tours available; docent tours by appointment. Open daily 9am-4pm. Dolores and 16th streets, San Francisco. Call 415-558-3546.
Old Sacramento State Historic Park Old Sacramento, containing much of the city's original downtown, also holds much of California's history. Among the historic structures is the Big Four Building, where much of the transcontinental railroad was planned, and the B.F. Hastings Building, which served as the western terminus for the Pony Express and as the home of California's first Supreme Court. The State Railroad Museum, with its steam train rides is an integral part of this historic area. Call (916) 324-0539 or 445-7373. State Parks Website
Old Spanish Trail Association This group researches the various branches of the Old Spanish Trail and keeps members informed about legislation and activities concerning the preservation of the trails. Individuals or family memberships $20/yr.; students $12. Write: Membership, OSTA, P.O. Box 7, Marysville, WA 98270.
Old Timers Museum Opened in 1949 by Dr. and Mrs. R. Coke Wood to honor the still-living early settlers and their descendants, the Old Timers Museum of Murphys in Calaveras County has preserved many sign)ficant artifacts. This non-profit museum is located in the oldest structure in Murphys, the Peter Travers Building and the west wall, the ECV Wall of Historic Commemorative Ovations, is of particular interest and amusement. Open September-June Fri-Sat-Sun 11 am-4 pm; Open Mondays 10:30-4:30 during the summer. Donation $ 1 adults, 50 cents/ children. Write 11 Knolltop Ct, Novato, CA 94945.
Olivas Adobe Historical Park In 1833, Mexico secularized the missions in California, allowing land grants to be given to military personnel for services rendered. Don Jose Raymundo Olivas and a friend were awarded a grant in 1851 by Governor Alvarado. The grant consisted of 4,692 acres, of which Don Raymundo took 2,000. Conditions of the grant were to build a house, grow crops, and raise cattle. The land had originally belonged to Mission San Buenaventura that had been founded in 1782 by Fray Junipero Serra. Construction of the Olivas Adobe began in 1847, led by a Chumash Indian named Juan de Jesus Tumamait. It was completed in 1849, but was not considered finished until it was blessed by a padre in 1851.
The Olivas Adobe and 253 acres of land was given to the city of San Buenaventura from the Max Fleischmann Foundation of nevada, a testamentary trust deed to the land. The restrictions on the grant required 4 to 5 acres to be set aside with the adobe as a historical monument. The rest could be used for recreational purposes.
The Olivas Adobe, after major renovation, is now open to the public for tours, outreach programs to the schools, and is used for special events, such as a Summer Music Under the Stars program.
An active docents program called Olivas Adobe Historical Interpreters, conducts weekend and special tours. Monthly meetings are held at the adobe the first Wednesday of each month at 10am. Docents also operate the OAHI Gift Shop and assist in the operation of the Outreach Program,to primarily fourth graders during the week. The Olivas Adobe Outreach Program was designed to enhance the fourth grade California history requirement with hands-on learning. It also provides an effective student presentation for multi-cultural classes or lessons in all grades.
Tours are conducted from 10am to 4pm weekends, and by special appointment. Docent training courses occur twice a year (March & September), and after an intensive four week course, trainees are admitted into the OAHI organization. Dues are $10 per year. Interested in becoming a docent (volunteer)? Contact the OAHI Liaison at 805-658-4728. Write 4200 Olivas Park Drive, Ventura, CA 93003; call 805-642-2758 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Website: Olivas Adobe Historical Park
Oregon-California Trails Association (OCTA) Dedicated to the preservation appreciation and enjoyment of all the trans-Mississippi migration trails to the West. Members attend yearly national convention with speakers, trail tours and activities. The Overland Journal is OCTA's quarterly magazine and contains articles and book reviews concerning historic trails and News From the Plains is their quarterly newsletter for members. Individual memberships are $35/yr. Write P.O. Box 1019, Independence, MO 64051-0519 or call (816) 252-2276. Visit the OCTA Internet Website.
Oregon City Museum Located at historic Oregon City, California next to the old Oregon City school on the other side of the covered bridge. This private museum is open occasionally on weekends or by appointment. Take Cherokee Road from Highway 70 or from Table Mountain Blvd in Oroville to Oregon Gulch Road. Write to 5 Oregon City Trail, Oregon City, CA 95965 or call (530) 534 8237.
Orland Historical and Cultural Society The Society promotes and preserves the history of the Orland area and encourages local area cultured activities. Meetings are held at the Depot in Orland at 8 pm on the 3rd Tuesday in Jan/May/July/Sept/Nov The group maintains the Heritage Trail located at the Orland Fairgrounds. Individual family membership is $10/yr. Call (530) 865-3781 or write P.O. Box 183, Orland CA 95963.
Pacific Coast Air Museum A non-proft organization dedicated to promoting the acquisition, restoration, safe operation, and display of historical aircraft, while providing an educational venue for students and the community. Write 2330 Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa, CA 95403. Visit website: http://pacificcoastairmuseum.org
Paradise Historical Society, Fact & Folklore This local group has published its historical magazine, Tales of the Paradise Ridge, since 1960. Membership in the group guarantees delivery of both issues each year and supports the research of the organization. Two meetings are held each year at the Gold Nugget Museum in Paradise, with interesting speakers. Call (530) 877-7535 or to become a member, send $12 to P.O. Box 1696, Paradise, CA 95967. Email: email@example.com
Paradise Genealogical Society Located at 5587 Scottwood Drive in Paradise, this group publishes the Genealogical Goldmine and a newsletter, Nuggets Prom Paradise. The group also maintains files of Florence Styles, a noted local historian. Open Mon & Fri 10-4; Weds, 1-8; Sat, 10-2. Anyone interested in Genealogical research is welcome to join. Call (530) 877-2330 or write P.O. Box 460, Paradise, CA 95967-0460. Paradise Genealogical Society Website
Peralta Adobe & Fallon House Historic Site The Peralta Adobe (1797) is the sole remaining structure from the Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe founded in 1777. The Fallon House (1855) is the fully restored and lavishly furnished Italinade home of an early mayor of San Jose. Guided tours available Saturdays & Sundays, noon to 5pm. Groups of 10 or more may schedule a custom tour. 175 W. St. John St., San Jose, CA 95110. Call 408-993-8182 or visit website: www.historysanjose.org
Pioneer Museum Located at 2332 Montgomery Street in Oroville. The museum was built to represent a '49er cabin. See the dolls, musical instruments hats, memoirs of Bidwell Bar, mining tools, dishes, clothing and the bedroom and Parlor of Judge Lott. Open every Sunday, 1-4, and by appointment for schools and groups. No admission but donations gladly accepted. Call (530) 534-8700 days, (530) 534-0198 evenings, or write P.O. Box 1743, Oroville, CA 95965.
Placer County Historical Society Quarterly dinner meeting with speakers on historical subjects. An old time classroom exhibit in the Auburn City Hall which was once the Auburn Union Grammar School. Over 400 members. Many oral histories available at the Placer County Library. Write: PCHS, P.O. Box 5643, Auburn, CA 95602. Visit website for tour info: www.placercountyhistoricalsociety.org
Placer County Museum Sate-of-the-art exhibit technology. Native American habitat exhibit w/light & sound, history of Placer County, mining, transportation, restored 1915 Sheriff's Office. Call (530) 889-6500 or write 101 Maple Street, Auburn, CA 95603.
Plumas County Museum Located at 500 Jackson Street directly behind the Courthouse in Quincy. Maidu Indian basketry, taxidermy and natural history room, art shows, quilts, archeaology of gold rush town of Elizabethtown and the town of Butt Lake, gold mining, logging, and railroading in the Industrial History Wing, agricultural implements, Exterior Exhibit Yard featuring gold miner's cabin, wagons, a stamp mill, and more! Adjacent is the 1878 Variel Home, a restored Victorian. $2 adults, $1 12-17, museum members and under 12 free. Open year-round Mon-Sat, 8-5 & weekends & holidays May-Oct. 10-4. Call (530) 283-6320 or write 500 Jackson Street, Quincy, CA 95971. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit website: www.countyofplumas.com
Portola Railroad Museum Located at Portola on Hwy 70 along the Feather River Route. The Museum displays over 35 diesels and 85 pieces of freight, passenger and work equipment. The Feather River Rail Society volunteers operate the museum. Drive it yourself locomotive rental program available by reservation (530) 832-4532. Museum open all year, 10-5. Caboose train rides Memorial Day to weekend after Labor Day. Call (530) 832-4131 or write P.O. Box 608, Portola, CA 96122. Website: www.wplives.org
Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, Southern California Chapter The society's work is devoted to the collecting and p[reserving of all types of railroad equipment, memborabilia and artifacts, while supporting its members' railroad interests. The 1887 Santa Fe railroad station from Arcadia, California is the museum's centerpiece and starting point of their museum tour. Various engines and rolling stock are on display. Open second weekend every month from 10am-3pm. Also open during Los Angeles County Fair from 10am-9pm daily. Write P.O. Box 2250, Pomona, CA 91769 or call 909-623-0190. Visit website at: www.trainweb.org/rlhs
Ramona Bowl Museum Located on the grounds of the Ramona Bowl in Hemet, where the famous Ramona Pageant (the California State Outdoor Play) has been presented since 1923. The Museum features the history of the show, the background of the Ramona story and artifacts from the local Indians. An extensive Research Library is also available. The Museum is open from January thru May and the Research Library is open by appointment year round. For dates and times (and information about the Ramona Pageant) call (909) 658-3111 or write to The Ramona Pageant Association, 27400 Ramona Bowl Road, Hemet, CA 92544.
Redwood City Public Library Local History Collection The collection covers all aspects of Redwood City's development from the 1850s to the present day. Emphasis on old businesses, public schools, early families, the fire department and cemetery. Selection of materials relating to San Mateo County and California. A complete set of Bancroft's Works, Redwood City Tribune Times Gazette, 1860-1913 available for research. History Room open Tues & Thurs. l pm-5 pm & Weds. 5 pm-9 pm. Write 1044 Middlefield Rd., Redwood City, CA 94063 or call (415) 780-7026.
Ridge Route Communities Museum & Historical Society Dedicated to preserving the history and artifacts of those communities located along the historic Old Ridge Route which connected northern California to the Los Angeles area. Museum and officxes are located at the corner of Cuddy Valley and Lockwood Valley roads in Lake of the Woods, 6 1/2 miles west of Interstate 5 in Southern California. Museum open 12 noon to 4pm, Thursday thru Saturday each week. Free admission. Libray of historical documents, photos and books covering the history of the area. Email: email@example.com or visit website: http://www.frazmtn.com/~rrchs. Write P.O. Box 684, Frazier Park, CA 93225. Call 805-245-7747.
Sacramento Valley Museum Located at 1491 E St., Williams, CA. Founded in 1963. Vintage displays housed in the two-story, 16,000 sq. ft. former high school built in 1911. Reflects life in the late 1800s-1940s. Some displays include a general store, parlor, children's vintage toy room, blacksmith & leather shop, horse-drawn carriage, vintage fire equipment, alumni room featuring photos of former students who attended high school in this building & an auditorium with the original stage. Research library is open by appointment only. Open mid-March-November, Thurs.-Sat. 10-4 and by appointment. Admission Adults $3, Children 4-17 $2, Children 3 & younger free and members visit for free. (Excludes special events) Annual Antique Show & Sale 3rd weekend in March located in the Old Gym behind the museum. Other events through the year. Call for details (530) 473-2978 Write P.O. Box 1437, Williams, CA 95987 or call. The Sacramento Valley Museun is a National Historic Place of Interest,
San Bruno History Room Located at the San Bruno Public Library, 701 West Angus Ave., San Bruno, CA 94066. Call 650-877-8878.
San Carlos Museum of History Discover the Indian and Spanish eras, early town businesses, fire and police department memorabilia (including restored 1927 Seagrave), and early electronic industries. Open 2nd & 4th Saturday, 1-4pm. Write 533 Laurel St., San Carlos, CA 94070. Call 650-802-4354.
San Dimas Museum and Historical Society The Museum is located at 210 W. Bonita Avenue in San Dimas. Hours are 1-3pm on the first and third Saturdays each month.The Historical Society office and archives is located at 246 E. Bonita Avenue in San Dimas. Hours are 9am-Noon, Tues. & Thurs. Special hours available on request. Call 909-592-1190 or write P.O. Box 871, San Dimas, CA 91773.
San Francisco City Guides A 27-year-old non-profit organization that conducts free walking tours spotlighting San Francisco history, architecture, legend and lore, is a program of the San Francisco Public Library and a project of the Tides Center. There are more than 200 trained City Guides, conducting 30 different tours for Bay Area residents and visitors 52 weeks a year. The organization's purpose is to preserve and perpetuate the history and folklore of San Francisco and to celebrate its rich cultural diversity. And in the spirit of the San Francisco Public Library, this service is provided free of charge. For more information contact Abby Daniels, Executive Director at 415-557-4266, or visit our website at www.sfcityguides.org Abby can be reached at the City Guides office at the Main Library, 100 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102.
San Francisco Fire Department Museum See equipment, photographs and memorabilia belonging to San Francisco's fire-fighting companies, including legendary volunteer units from 1849 to 1866. Open Thurs.-Sun., 1-4pm. Closed holidays. 655 Presidio Ave., San Francisco, CA. Call 415-558-3546.
San Francisco History Association Website: www.sanfranciscohistory.com
San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park "Found! The Wreck of the Frolic" explores the story of the only shipwreck ever discovered with gold rush cargo prior to the discovery of the Central America. Maritime Museum features ship models, nautical artifacts and maritime bookstore. Open daily 10am-5pm. Free. Aquatic Park, foot of Polk St. The Hyde Street Pier features four national landmark historic ships to tour. Open daily, 10am-5pm. Fisherman's Wharf, Hyde and Jefferson streets, San Francisco. Call 415-556-3002.
San Francisco Museum & Historical Society This group is restoring and refurbishing the Old San Francisco Mint into a Coin and Gold Rush Museum. Contact Nancy Fox, Director of Public Relations: firstname.lastname@example.org www.sfhistory.org
San Gorgonio Pass Historical Society Meets the 4th Wednesday each month at the Cherry Valley Grange Hall, NE corner of Beaumont Avenue & Cherry Valley Blvd. Open to the public. All ages welcome. Historical presentations by local families & historians. Refreshments after meetings. Local History/Railroad Historian, email email@example.com Local History/Genealogy, email firstname.lastname@example.org Write to: Nara Haskel, 39437 Oak View, Cherry Valley, CA 92223 or call 909-845-4828.
San Jose Historical Museum Collection of 20 historic structures on a 25-acre site in Kelley Park. Includes: "Ng Shing Gung," a replica Chinese temple from "Heinlenville," "Imperio," a replica of the 1915 Portuguese chapel that was located on E. Santa Clara St., and the Trolley Barn, a restoration workshop. Open Tues-Fri., noon-5pm for self-guided tours; guided tours Saturdays & Sundays, noon-5pm. 1600 Senter Rd., San Jose, CA 95112. Call 408-287-2290 or visit website: www.historysanjose.org
San Mateo County Historical Association The group maintains three sites: The San Mateo County History Museum, 2200 Broadway, Redwood City, CA 94063 features exhibits depicting the history of the peninsula from the time of the Ohlone Indians. Open T-Sat 10 am-4 pm; Sun. 10 pm-4 pm. The Woodside Store, King's Mountain & Tripp roads, Woodside, CA 94062 was built in 1854 and has been restored to its appearance in the 1880s with trade goods, museum gift shop and bookstore. Open T-Th 10 am4 pm, Sat & Sun 12-4 pm. The Sanchez Adobe, 1000 Linda Mar Blvd. Pacifica, CA 94044 was constructed between 1842 and 1846 by Francisco Sanchez, owner of Rancho San Pedro. Open T-Th 10 am-4 pm; Sat & Sun 1 pm-5 pm. Call (650) 299-0104 for more information.
San Mateo County History Museum Self-guided gallery tours include: Horse & Buggy Days, Explore the Past: California's Many Cultures; Rendered in Time: A Lithographic Record; Archive/Library; Historic Rails. Open Tues.-Sun. 10am-4pm. Adults $4; ages 6-12 and seniors over 65 $2. 2200 Broadway, Redwood City, CA 94063. Call 650-299-0104.
Santa Barbara Historical Museum Founded in 1932, the historical society interprets the city's rich artistic and multicultural history from the Native American period through Spanish settlement to the present day. The Gledhill Library contains documents and photographs of the city's history, and is open 10am-4pm Tuesday through Friday, and the first Saturday each month. Research fees for students and members are free. There is a nominal charge for nonmembers. Museum open Tuesday-Thursday 10am-5pm; Sunday Noon-5pm. Write 136 East De la Guerra St., Santa Barbara, CA 93101. Call 805-966-1601. Website: santabarbaramuseum.com
Santa Clara Historic Museum Located in the Headen-Inman House and offers memorabilia and photographic collections relating to the City of Santa Clara's past. Genealogical research materials and assistance available. Open Sun. 1-4pm. 1509 Warburton Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95050-3712. Call 408-248-2787.
Santa Clara County Historical & Genealogical Society Located at the Santa Clara Central Library, the Society meets 3rd Thursday monthly except Aug/Dec., 7-8:45pm. Visit their website: www.rootsweb.com/!cascchgs
Saratoga Historical Museum Located in a 1904 commercial building. Three exhibits each year emphasize local history and Saratoga's past using artifacts collected throughout the area. Open Weds.-Sun. 1-4pm. 20450 Saratoga-Los Gatos Rd., Saratoga, CA 95070. Call 408-867-4311.
Alta Schmidt House Museum The Museum was willed to the Orland Historical & Cultural Society by Edna Schmidt Ingraham. The house was built in 1901 by C.R. & Katie Schmidt and is located at 936 Fourth Street, across from the Orland Library Park. Special exhibits, photographs, artifacts, clothing, etc Call (530) 865-3781 or write P.O. Box 183 Orland, CA 95963.
Seymour Pioneer Museum Open Tuesday thru Friday, 10am-4pm. First Saturday of each month, 10am-4pm. Admission $3, students $1, seniors $1. Operated by the Society of California Pioneers, 300 4th St., San Francisco 94107. Website: www.californiapioneers.org
Shasta Historical Society Founded in 1930, the Society has published an annual historical publication known as the Covered Wagon each June. Memberships are $7.50; $15.00 with the Covered Wagon. The Society's research library and headquarters are located in Redding's Downtown Mall at 1449 Market Street. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mon-Fri. Meetings are usually held at 1:30 p.m. the third Saturday of each month except July & August. Call (530) 243-3720 for information or write 1449 Market St., Redding, CA 96001. Website: www.shastahistorical.org
Shasta State Historic Park Located on Highway 299 about five miles west of Redding, California. The park is what remains of Shasta City, one of the earliest gold rush towns in California. A General Store from the 1880s is staffed by Docents on weekends. An Open House is held the first Sunday in December with volunteers in period dress and entertainment provided free. One of the best collections of California art is housed in the old Courthouse museum which still has the old jail intact. Write P.O. Box 2340, Shasta, CA 96087 or call (530) 243-8194. State Parks Website
Siskiyou County Museum Located at 910 South Main Street in Yreka, California. The museum was built in 1950 by the county in an attempt to preserve the history of the area for future generations. To help accomplish this, the Museum organized various thematic exhibits from prehistoric times to the turn of the century, published historical manuscripts and developed educational programming to help convey the life and times of early Siskiyou County residents. The Museum's first professionally designed and interpreted longterm exhibit - Siskiyou County, a Time of Change - opened in early 1993. The exhibit includes expanded text and artifacts of our Native American culture here in Siskiyou County, the trapping era and military history. The Museum is open Tuesday thru Saturday 9-5. Write 910 S. Main Street, Yreka, CA 96097.
Sisson Museum in Mt. Shasta Founded in 1983 to present and educate through exhibits, demonstrations and annual activities, the historical, social, economic and natural history of the Mount Shasta area. No entry fee. From I-5 head west to Old Stage Road into the Mount Shasta Fish Hatchery grounds. #1 North Old Stage Rd., Mt. Shasta, CA 96067. Call 530-926-5508. Website: www.mountshastasissonmuseum.org
Jedediah Smith Society The business office of the Society is at the University of the Pacific, Wendell Phillips Center, Room 229. The Holt-Atherton Center-Department of Special Collections is the official depository of all collections and records of the Society. Questions about availability and appointments for research in these archives can be made by calling (209) 946-2404. The Society holds two regular memberships meetings per year, a breakfast in April at the time of the California History Institute at UOP and a fall "rendezvous" in late September at a historic location in the vicinity of one of Jed Smith's known campsites and travels. In addition, the Board of Directors meets four times a year at UOP. A quarterly newsletter, "Castor Canadensis," is published for all members. Membership is open to any person or association. Student dues are $10; regular member dues are $20 per year. Write the Jed Smith Society, % John Muir Center for Regional Studies, History Dept., University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA 95211 or phone (209) 946-2169. Website: http://www.uop.edu/organizations.JSS96.html
Society of California Pioneers Located at 300 4th Street in San Francisco, CA 94107. The society collection contains 250,000 artifacts and works of art and 75,000 books on early California. Seymour Pioneer Museum, Alice Phelan Sullivan Library, Joseph & Mildred Rolph Moore Gallery. Call (415) 957-1849 for more information. Website: www.californiapioneers.org
Sonoma County Historical Society A volunteer organization dedicated to researching, preserving and sharing the history of Sonoma County. Publishes history journal, Sonoma Historian. Visit website: www.sonomacountyhistory.org
Sonoma County Museum Located at 425 Seventh St. in Santa Rosa and operated by the Sonoma County Museum Foundation. Museum and Gift Shop open Weds-Sun, 11-4 pm. Admission: $2 adults; $1 students & seniors; Free to members and children under 12. Write 425 7th St., Santa Rosa, CA 95401. Phone (707) 579-1500.
Sonoma State Historic Park The site of the Bear Flag Revolt. See the Mission San De Solano, the Sonoma Barracks, the Petaluma Adobe and General Vallejo's Home, all for one admission price. Open 1-5 seven days a week. Admission: $2/ Adults; $1/6-12; Free for ages 5 & under. Write 20 East Spain Street, Sonoma, CA 95476 or call (707) 938-1519. State Parks Website
Sonoma Valley Historical Society Located at the Depot Museum, 2701 1st Street West, Sonoma (near the Plaza). Write P.O. Box 861, Sonoma, CA 95476 or call (707) 938-1762.
South Bay Historical Railroad Museum Located in the restored Santa Clara Train Depot which dates from 1863. Model railroads are on display and school groups are offered courses which emphasize the influence of railroads on California's history. Open Tues. 6-9pm; Sat. 10am-3pm. 1005 Railroad Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95050. Call 408-243-3969.
South County Historical Society Represents the areas of Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, Grover Beach, Oceano, Nipomo, Halcyon, Edna Valley, Los Berros, Oso Flaco, and Huasna in San Luis Obispo County, California. The Society is dedicated to research, restoration, and dissemination of information to preserve our historical heritage.
The Heritage House was built in the late 1800s and has been restored and is now the Society's Visitor's Center and museum. Open to the public Sat. 12pm-3pm and Sun. 1pm-4pm.
The Santa Manuela Schoolhouse is thought to be the last one-room schoolhouse in the United States. Open Sat. from 12pm-3pm and Sun. 1pm-4pm and is free of charge.
The "Barn" is the Society's Museum Annex which houses a variety of antique vehicles and agricultural artifacts from the South County area. Open Sat. 12pm-3pm and Sun. 1pm-4pm and is free of charge.
The Paulding History House is open 1st Sat each month from 12pm-3pm or by appointment (Call 805-473-3231). Dr. Edwin Paulding was the first resident medical doctor in Arroyo Grande.
The address and directions for our museums can be found on the Society's website at www.SouthCountyHistory.org, or phone 805-481-4126, or write P.O. Box 633, Arroyo Grande, CA 93420.
South San Francisco History Room Located at the South San Francisco Public Library, 306 Walnut St., South San Francisco, CA 94080. Open Mon., Tues., Thurs. 1-4pm; Weds. 107pm; Fri. 10am-2pm. Call 650-877-8533.
Stansbury House Located at 5th and Salem Streets in Chico, this historic home was built by Dr. & Mrs. Oscar Stansbury in 1883. Built in the Italianade Renaissance architectural style, this home is one of the most original and unaltered homes in California. Admission: Adults $1, Children, 50 cents; free under 10. Open Saturday & Sunday, 1-4pm. Available for weddings. Call (530) 895-3848.
Spanishtown Historical Society 505 Johnston St., Half Moon Bay, CA 94019. Call 650-726-7084.
Stansbury House Located at 5th and Salem streets in Chico, this historic home was built by Dr. & Mrs. Oscar Stansbury in 1883. Built in the Italianade Renaissance architectural style, this home is one of the most original and unaltered homes in California. Admission: adults $1; children 50¢; free under 10. Open Sat. & Sun. 1-4pm. Available for weddings. Call 530-895-3848.
Leland Stanford Museum Home of former Governor, senator and railroad baron Leland Stanford. Prerestoration tours are available Tues.-Thurs. 12:15pm; Sat. 12:15 & 1:30pm. Call to confirm. 802 N St., Sacramento, CA 95814. Call 916-324-0575. State Parks Website
Stirling City Historical Society The Society meets each month at the Stirling City Hotel. Members ane needed to help compile historical data of the mountain area. The Society publishes a quarterly newsletter. Yearly membership dues of $10 can be mailed to P.O. Box 130, Stirling City, CA 95978. Call (530) 873-0858.
Sunnyvale Historical Museum Exhibits recall the Murphy family, agriculture and fruit canning, and Moffett Field Naval Air Station. Open Tues. & Thurs. 12-3:30pm; Sun. 1-4pm. Murphy Park (N. Sunnyvale Ave. at California Ave.), Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1301. Call 408-749-0220.
Community Memorial Museum of Sutter County Located at 1333 Butte House Road in Yuba City. Exhibits trace the heritage of Sutter County starting with the Maidu Indians and looking at the lives of early settlers using artifacts, photographs and interpretive labels. The Museum also has a schedule of special changing exhibits. Open Tues-Fri, 9-5 pm; Sat-Sun, 12-4. Admission is free. Call (530) 822-7141 or write P.O. Box 1555, Yuba City, CA 95992 for more information.
Sutter's Fort State Historic Park The spirit of the old west lives on at Sutter's Fort. Many of John Sutter's dreams and the dreams of other bold adventurers in the American West can still be seen, felt and appreciated with special clarity within the walls of the old fort. Dreams of empire, power, prestige and wealth. Sutter's own personal dream also in included unstinting hospitality toward all who came to him in need. See the new Sutter's Fort Gold Rush Exhibit: "Gold, Gold, Gold: Sacrifices to El Dorado." Sutter's Fort is located at 2701 L Street, Sacramento CA 95814. Call (916) 445-4422. Sutter's Fort Web Page. Email for the Sutter's Fort Trade Store: email@example.com
Tehama County Genealogical & Historical Society Founded in 1981, the Society publishes a yearly Memories (free to current members) to preserve county history. The program chairman presents at least five special programs each year pertaining to the history of Tehama County; admission to these is free. Write P.O. Box 415, Red Bluff, CA 96080. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.tcghs.net
Tehama County Museum Built in 1859 as a school/Masonic Lodge. February quilt/doll shows in alternating years. Jubilee in September with entertainment, food, crafts, new exhibits. Group tours are available. Open 1-4pm Fri-Sun Feb-Dec and by appointment. C & 3rd streets. Write P.O. Box 275, Tehama, CA 96090 or call (530) 384-2595.
Torrance Historical Society & Museum The Society has an ever growing collection of photos, documents, books, artifacts and other material relevant to the City's past. The Torrance Historical Society also hosts walking tours of Old Torrance (founded 1912) on the fourth Sunday of every month, May - October. The walks feature a variety of historical sites. Hours: Tues-Thurs & Sun, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm. Special hours can be arranged for private tours or research. Write 1345 Post Avenue, Torrance, CA 90501 or call 310-328-5392 Email: museum@TorranceHistoricalSociety.org Website: www.TorranceHistoricalSociety.org
Trails West, Inc. Based in Reno, Nevada, prganized in 1970, with the purpose of researching all phases of exploration and migration to the American West, and to promote accurate identification of routes and trails of pioneer explorers and emigrants to the area. The placing of suitable, permanent, engraved iron rail markers on the trails is intended to aid in preservation and recreational enjoyment for all history buffs. Email: emigranttrailswest.com or call 530-342-7908. Trails West, P.O. Box 12045, Reno, NV 89510.
Trinity County Historical Society & History Center Research facility holds Trinity County records, maps, photos, and documents from 1850 to present. Open Tues-Sat, noon-4pm April-December, Tues & Sat only Jan-Mar. Write P.O. Box 333, Weaverville, CA 96093. Call 530-623-5211. Website: www.trinitymuseum.org
Truckee-Donner Historical Society Old Jail Museum located on Jibboom Street in Truckee's Historic District open for tours weekends 11am to 4pm from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The old jail was in continuous service from 1875 until 1968 when it was deeded to the Historical Society. The Society also maintains a research facility at a restored 1930s cabin at Truckee's Meadow Park called the 'Gateway Cabin'. The Joseph Research Library is open 10am-2pm. ln the meantime queries about Truckee history are welcome by phone: (530) 582-0893; by letter: P.O. Box 893, Truckee, CA 96160; or email: email@example.com or visit their website: http://www.truckeehistory.org
Tuolumne County Museum and History Center Located at 158 W. Bradford Avenue - Mailing Address: P.O. Box 299 Sonora, CA 95370-0299 - (209) 532-1317 - www.tchistory.org - The rich history of Tuolumne County is on display in the old county jail. Photographs, gold and pioneer firearms collections, wagon train and soap box derby displays, old-fashioned garden, and picnic tables. Tuolumne County Genealogical Society library open Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Hours: Sunday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Free.
Monthly Programs - Usually held on the last Friday of the month (with the exception of summer) at 7 p.m.in the Community Room of the Tuolumne County Library at 480 Greenley Rd., Sonora, CA. The public is invited at no charge.
Turtle Bay Exploration Park Located at 800 Auditorium Drive, Redding, CA 96001. Call 1-800-887-8532 for more information. Website: www.turtlebay.org Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Vallejo Naval and Historical Museum was established in 1974 to collect and exhibit the history of the City of Vallejo (originally California's state capital), the nearby Mare Island Naval Shipyard and the surrounding region. Mare Island was the first U.S. Navy Yard on the Pacific coast, established by Capt. David G. Farragut in 1854. The Museum features five galleries of permanent and changing exhibits. The Museum also hosts concerts, lectures, festivals, and other special events throughout the year, and also includes a research library and bookstore. The Vallejo Naval and Historical Museum is located at 734 Marin Street, in Vallejo's historic Old City Hall, built in 1927 and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Museum hours are Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-4:30pm. For more information about current exhibits and programs call 707-643-0077 or visit the Museum website at: www.vallejomuseum.org
Valley Center History Museum of San Diego features a major exhibition on the California Grizzly Bear, extinct since 1924, including a taxidermy mount of a bear. Visitors will also see the smallest post office in the United States (as listed in Guinness World Records), an aviation exhibit with portions of the aeroplane that was the first motorized flight west of the Mississippi (within six years of the Wright Brothers), a fully-furnished 1865-era settler's cabin, vintage stage coaches, and displays of celebrities who lived in the community (from Fred Astaire to Betty Crocker). The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 12 noon to 4pm at 29200 Cole Grade Road in Valley Center. Admission and parking are free. Tour groups welcome. Telephone 760-749-2993.
Weaverville Joss House State Historic Park Located in the heart of Weaverville, a small community near the Trinity Alps on Highway 299 about 50 miles west of Redding. The Joss House was originally built in the early 1850s by Chinese miners, burned in 1873, was rebuilt in 1874 and has operated as a house of worship ever since. Open Weds-Sun 10-4 except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. Call (530) 623-5284 or write P.O. Box 1217, Weaverville, CA 96093. State Parks Website
Wells Fargo History Museum in Sacramento Houses an original, fully restored Concord stagecoach. Interpretive exhibits explain Wells fargo's express, banking and staging operations as well as its commercial role in early Sacramento history. Artifacts include gold, a functioning telegraph, gold scales, treasure boxes, documents. 9-5pm M-F. Free. 400 Capitol Mall. Call 916-440-4161. Also in Old Sacramento, 10am-5pm daily, 1000 2nd st., 916-440-4263.
Wells Fargo History Museum in San Francisco Artifacts from the Old West include gold mining tools, stagecoaches, Pony Express stamps, photographs and documents. Open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. Closed on bank holidays. 420 Montgomery St., San Francisco, CA 94163. Call 415-396-2619.
West Antelope Valley Historical Society Records, preserves and disseminates the history of the Antelope Valley. This is accomplished through meetings, field trips, a monthly newsletter and other publications. A top priority is to convert the "Old Leona School" into a museum. Write West Antelope Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 1972, Lancaster, CA 93539-1972.
Western Aerospace Museum Historic airplanes, props and jets and more. Highlights include the flying boat featured in "Raiders of the Lost Ark," a Lockheed Electra 10A (similar to the plane Amelia Earhart flew) and a Harrier VTOL jet. Open Weds.-Sun. 10am-4pm. 8260 Boeing St., Bldg. 621, Oakland, CA. Call 510-638-7100.
Western Sonoma County Historical Society Website: www.wschs-grf.pon.net
Wilmington Historical Society Website: www.lafn.org/community/whs
Winchester House Website: www.winchestermysteryhouse.com
Wings of History Air Museum Collection of antique aircraft, artifacts and memorabilia, with interactive displays for children. Visitors can view restoration of vintage airplanes and a working propeller shop. Open Tues., Thurs. & Sat. 10am-3pm. 12777 Murphy Ave., San Martin, CA. Call 408-683-2290.
Yolo County Historical Museum Preserves, collects, and interprets the history and culture of Yolo County, California. Housed in the Gibson Mansion, built between 1855-1875, guided tours lead visitors through a beautiful historic home filled with artifacts, hand-crafted furniture, and personal mementos of the Gibson family. The lovely home alsocontains magnificent Native American basketry, textiles and Yolo County pioneer history. Museum Store, Barn, Blacksmith Shop, Long House, Dairy, Root Cellar, Museum Headquarters, National Register Historic Site, 2.27-acre park grounds, picnic tables, rest rooms. Open Mon-Tues 10am-4pm; Sat Noon-4pm. Adults $5, ages 5-17 $2, members and children under 4 free. 512 Gibson Rd., Woodland, CA 95695 Call 530-666-1045.
Yuba-Feather Museum & Gold Trader Flat Life-sized replica of a Gold Rush town shows how pioneers lived and worked in the late 1800s. Buildings include a post office, saloon, hat shop, mercantile, Wells Fargo office, Sheriff office, blacksmith and leather shop, school house, pioneer homestead, miner's cabin, and print shop. Hotel and chapel under construction. Main museum building houses displays on logging, changing exhibits, 3,000 photographs, family history research room and more. Three annual living history days feature costumed characters working old equipment and many hands-on activities for visitors. FREE ADMISSION. Open 12-4pm weekends and holidays from Memorial Day through Labor Day. 19096 New York Flat Road, Forbestown. Call 530-675-1025. Yuba-Feather Museum Website
Formerly known as the Dogtown Territorial Quarterly
The California Territorial Quarterly provides free listings for non-profit historical groups. For a free listing to promote your California historical society, museum or research group write to:
Links to Other California History Website Pages:
[Home | History Articles | Authors/Historians | History Books | Dogtown History | Sample Article]
[California Historic Events | Historical Societies & Museums | California State Historic Parks]
[Advertising Rates | Historical Advisors | History Trivia Test | Writer's Guidelines]
[Dogtown Territorial Quarterly Magazine | Ordering Information | Paradise Coin & Gift]
This website designed & developed by Bill Anderson, Editor, The California Territorial Quarterly
Generated by Adobe Cyberstudio CS for Macbook Pro. ©2011 All Rights Reserved